With growing issues about environmentally-harmful products and contaminants in artificial yoga mats, eco-conscious yogis are trying to find an option. However we’re not ready to compromise traction, cushion, convenience, or price simply for the sake of
Thankfully, cork yoga mats examine all packages and safeguard the environment at the same time. For over 5,000 years, cork has actually been utilized for whatever from boats to shoes to floor covering to white wine stoppers. Thanks to its naturally anti microbial and anti slip homes, this ancient eco-friendly resource is completely matched for yoga mats. Cork yoga mats are even odor-resistant and end up being more “grippy” as you sweat, making them best for hot yoga.
Nevertheless, not all cork mats are produced equivalent. Some are insanely pricey, while others are made with poor quality products. We chose to examine the leading 7 cork yoga mats to discover the very best cork mat for earthy yogis.
- 1 Quick Chooses
- 2 What is a Cork Yoga Mat?
- 3 Where Does Cork Originate from?
- 4 Leading 7 Cork Yoga Mats
- 4.1 High-end Cork Yoga Mat – Non Slip, Soft, Sweat Resistant. Thicker, Longer, and Wider for More Convenience …
- 4.2 GURUS Sweat Evidence Long Lasting Cork Yoga Mat 4.5 mm Thick Non Slip Workout Mat for House Exercise
- 4.3 MASDERY Cork Yoga Mat Non Slip Naturel Rubber 72″ x 24″ Body Line High Flexibility 4mm Thick Yoga Mat …
- 4.4 CorkTec Non Harmful Non Slip Thick Cork Yoga Mat with Eco-Friendly Organic/Vegan Cork, Pilates Mat, …
- 4.5 X-Large Long Natural Rubber Cork Yoga Mat Guy Tall Lady 79″ X 27″ Cork Extra-Large Yoga Mats …
- 4.6 Yoloha Aura Cork Yoga Mat|Non Slip, Sustainable, Soft, Long Lasting, Light-weight, Premium, Handmade …
- 4.7 Gaiam Cork Yoga Mat|Natural, sustainable cork print style stops smells|Non-toxic TPE Rubber …
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Secret Takeaways: The Very Best Cork Yoga Mats are Natural,
- Finest General: High-end Cork Yoga Mat from Body By Yoga
- Finest Portable Mat: Gurus Sweat Evidence Long Lasting Cork Yoga Mat
- Many Stunning Cork Yoga Mat: Masdery Cork Yoga Mat
- Many Eco-Friendly: CorkTec Non Harmful Non Slip Thick Cork Yoga Mat
- Finest Bonus Big Cork Yoga Mat: Semper Sanus Big Cork Yoga Mat Natural Rubber
- Finest Cushion: Yoloha Aura Cork Yoga Mat
- Budget Plan Alternative: Gaiam Cork Yoga Mat
What is a Cork Yoga Mat?
Cork yoga mats are an eco friendly mat alternative made with the bark of the cork oak tree. As an eco friendly option to artificial rubber mats, a cork yoga mat provides yoga professionals a variety of advantages.
Pros of Cork Yoga Mats
- Superior grip: The most significant benefit of a cork yoga mat over a routine mat is that it gets grippier as it gets damp. The cork includes a naturally happening substance called suberin that imitates a somewhat sticky glue in between the cork surface area and your skin. In hot yoga classes, this suggests that cork mats end up being less slippery as you sweat. Your hands and feet can grip the whole mat without stressing over the poisonous phthalates or PVC discovered in artificial mats.
- Naturally antimicrobial: Research studies have actually discovered that cork has some quite excellent anti-bacterial homes. It can decrease hazardous bacterial levels and withstand mold or mildew so you do not need to fret about cleaning it as typically as other mats.
- No smell absorption: You understand that nasty odor from a sweaty mat that you forgot in the back of your vehicle for a couple of days? A cork mat does not take in smells, so you never ever need to fret about stinking up the studio. In truth, cork is naturally waterproof, so it’s not going to take in sweat either.
- Many sustainable yoga mat: A cork yoga mat is among the most eco friendly yoga mats that cash can purchase. It even equals other sustainable products like jute, natural rubber, and cotton due to the fact that of its climate-conscious production. Cork can be collected consistently from trees without cutting them down. In Portugal, cork oak trees balance out countless lots of carbon every year simply by growing. Cork is likewise 100% naturally degradable, recyclable, and without contaminants. Nevertheless, due to the fact that it is uncommon to discover a 100% cork mat, you likewise require to be familiar with the sustainability of the base product utilized to make cork yoga mats.
- Non-toxic: From polyvinyl chloride to heavy metals to phthalates and beyond, there’s a stunning quantity of carcinogenic chemicals utilized in producing traditional yoga mats. A cork yoga mat lets you breathe freely without stressing over any poisonous chemicals off-gassing while you stream.
- It simply feels great: Eventually, none of the advantages of cork yoga mats matter if they aren’t satisfying to experiment. The very best aspect of these mats is that they feel so great under your hands. They’re soft, cushiony, and grippy on your hands. The cork product feels natural and “down to earth” while at the same time supporting your balance and joints.
Cons of Cork Yoga Mats
- Might split when folded: Cork is still a natural product, for that reason it isn’t constantly as flexible and versatile as foam or rubber mats. The most significant grievance yogis have about cork mats is their propensity to split or establish lines if you routinely fold them. Every brand name carries out in a different way, however it might need a bit more more care to avoid a cork yoga mat from splitting.
- Not as grippy when dry: Cork does tend to dry and be less “sticky” without sweat or wetness. A moist fabric or a bit of water on your hands can work marvels in slower Hatha or Vinyasa classes where you desire a great grip without leaking sweat.
- More pricey: Like lots of natural products, cork is more pricey than traditional mats made from low-cost rubber or foam. It can be challenging to discover spending plan choices. Many cork yoga mats vary from $40-$ 100+.
- Heavy: While cork is naturally light-weight, cork yoga mats tend to be a bit much heavier than basic mats due to the density of the product below the cork layer. Thicker mats can weigh approximately 8 pounds while thinner mats can weigh in closer to 4 pounds for simpler usage as travel mats.
Where Does Cork Originate from?
Cork is a light-weight yet extremely long lasting product collected from the external bark of cork oak trees. This medium-sized evergreen oak tree is belonging to the Mediterranean and northwest Africa. Its bark is among the most sustainable products in the world and has actually been utilized for countless years for a wide variety of applications. Rather of reducing an entire tree for wood, cork trees can be collected every 8 to 14 years and grow back in between harvests.
In the yoga world, cork is most frequently discovered in cork yoga mats, cork blocks, and even cork yoga studio floor covering. Thanks to its naturally rot-resistant and antimicrobial homes, cork yoga props can be made without making use of hazardous chemicals. Cork is likewise entirely naturally degradable, recyclable, and eco-friendly.
Leading 7 Cork Yoga Mats
The very best yoga mats are helpful, grippy, non-slip, and helpful for our health along with the environment. While cork appears like a widely best product for the task, not all cork yoga mats are produced equivalent! They require to be made from high quality sustainably collected cork that is effectively made to prevent splitting or damage throughout usage.
Remember that it is likewise uncommon to discover a 100% cork mat. The very best cork yoga mats have long lasting and natural support products to keep the mat in location no matter what. Here are our favorites:
High-end Cork Yoga Mat – Non Slip, Soft, Sweat Resistant. Thicker, Longer, and Wider for More Convenience …
See most current cost.
This mat is the thickest cork yoga mat we discovered, however at 80 ″ x 26 ″ it likewise wins points for being an ideal additional broad and long alternative. Body By Yoga produced this ultra high-end 6.5 mm thick mat for thick cushiony assistance. It is the very best cork yoga mat for anybody with joint issues or for doing flooring workouts on wood.
Specifically crafted by yoga instructors, this mat is made with the greatest quality Portugese cork. It is insane long lasting and crafted with 6 times more cork than a basic cork yoga mat. We like that it has an additional “offer” for your joints and spinal column, yet still feels company enough for complete assistance throughout stabilizing postures.
The only drawback we discovered about this cork yoga mat is it’s heavy However you get a reward mini arm exercise in while bring it around!
Finest Portable Mat:
GURUS Sweat Evidence Long Lasting Cork Yoga Mat 4.5 mm Thick Non Slip Workout Mat for House Exercise
See most current cost.
Among the most long lasting and light-weight cork yoga mats on the marketplace, the Gurus brand name mat is portable, chemical-free, and latex-free. The cork structure and production of this mat was influenced by the creator’s childhood in Kerala, India. It weighs in at simply 2 pounds and consists of an adjustable shoulder strap for supreme mobility.
This mat is 75 ″ x 25 ″ and has amazing grip. In hot yoga classes, it gets much more traction for slip-free motion. We likewise like that this brand name plants a tree for every single mat purchased.The just drawback is that the lower part of the mat is made from artificial TPE, which might off-gas chemicals when heated up.
Many Stunning Cork Yoga Mat:
MASDERY Cork Yoga Mat Non Slip Naturel Rubber 72″ x 24″ Body Line High Flexibility 4mm Thick Yoga Mat …
See most current cost.
This is among the most gorgeous cork yoga mats we have actually discovered. It likewise has a few of the greatest quality cork. It weighs about 5 pounds, is 4mm thick, and 72 ″ x 24 ″ in size. The natural cork and pure eco rubber pulp both come directly from nature and make this mat non-slip, odor-less, and 100% eco-friendly. It is likewise 6P complimentary (phthalate complimentary) and recyclable.
The Masdery cork yoga mat features a beautiful line-drawn lion or bird geometric art with positioning lines for best postures.
CorkTec Non Harmful Non Slip Thick Cork Yoga Mat with Eco-Friendly Organic/Vegan Cork, Pilates Mat, …
See most current cost.
If you’re trying to find the most non-toxic and eco-friendly cork yoga mat possible, the CorkTec checks all packages. It’s naturally degradable, 100% natural, eco-friendly, and without chemicals.
This mat is made from a pure cork upper and natural rubber lower. The cork originates from Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC) licensed cork grower in Portugal and Spain. The natural rubber is a sustainable resource from rubber trees.
This mat is 72 ″ x 24 ″ and 4mm thick. It weighs about 5 pounds, rolls up truly well, and lays completely flat the 2nd you un-roll it. We were impressed by the terrific grip, non-cracking, and high quality. The one drawback is the natural rubber odor that might trouble individuals who aren’t utilized to it.
This is the very best cork yoga mat for anybody with allergic reactions or chemical level of sensitivities, for for yogis who require a yoga mat that is additional high and broad. Anybody worried about hormone-disrupting chemicals called phthalates will be happy to understand that this cork yoga mat is licensed 6P Free. This suggests it is likewise entirely without plasticizers and petroleum-byproducts. It is chemical-free, recyclable, naturally degradable, and vegan.
It has an environmental cork upper surface area and pure natural rubber lower. The rubber support is naturally anti-skid, while the eco cork upper supplies truly great grip. It has to do with 5mm thick and readily available in 2 sizes: 72 ″ x 26 ″ and 79 ″ x 27 ″.
Both products interact to develop an easy-to-clean and steady surface area for any kind of yoga. We like the Semper Sanus for its ultra-sustainability and additional long lasting products.
Yoloha Aura Cork Yoga Mat|Non Slip, Sustainable, Soft, Long Lasting, Light-weight, Premium, Handmade …
See most current cost.
With over 6mm (0.24 ″) density, the Yoloha Aura is among the most joint-supportive cork mats on the marketplace. It has a totally natural cork upper with an an ultra cushioned closed cell foam bottom. Though the foam is artificial, the brand name guarantees that there are definitely no PVCs, latex, plasticizers, or chemical rubber smells.
This mat remains dry and non-slip even in the sweatiest conditions. It does not take in wetness or smells, so you do not need to clean it almost as typically as a routine mat. It seems like a thick steady pillow versus your knees, wrists, or back, yet it’s still extremely simple to stabilize on for standing postures. The mat remains laying flat without bunching up throughout circulations.
Yoloha likewise provides some other amazing yoga equipment like their cork yoga mat bag, cork yoga obstructs, and cork yoga wheel.
Budget Plan Alternative:
Gaiam Cork Yoga Mat|Natural, sustainable cork print style stops smells|Non-toxic TPE Rubber …
See most current cost.
At under $40, it’s challenging to discover a much better spending plan alternative than Gaiam’s cork yoga mat. Though this mat has an artificial TPE rubber support, we like the patterned natural cork upper. It has outstanding traction and softens in humidity.
The Gaiam cork yoga mat is quite dang sustainable, however we do not understand how chemical-free it is. The cork upper originates from sustainably handled cork trees, however the TPE rubber bottom might have concealed chemicals. However, it is budget-friendly and slip-free with moderate cushioned and odor-resistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cork yoga mats slippery?
Unlike PVC and artificial rubber mats, cork yoga mats are made from the most anti-slip products on the marketplace. They in fact get less slippery and more grippy under damp and damp settings (which obviously makes them best for hot yoga sessions).
Are cork yoga mats great?
If you’re trying to find yoga mat that feels steady, helpful, cushiony, and grippy with no poisonous chemicals or environmentally-harmful production procedures, cork yoga mats were produced you! Lots of hot yoga trainers swear by cork yoga mats for their remarkable grip, naturally anti-slip feel, and sustainable environment-friendly production procedure.
Secret Takeaways: The Very Best Cork Yoga Mats are Natural,
If you’re wishing to include more traction, assistance, and earth-friendliness to your yoga practice, a natural cork yoga mat might be a video game changer. The efficiency, smooth surface area, and eco friendly products offer traditional mats a run for their cash. Plus, you do not need to fret about any severe chemicals.
Based upon our evaluation, you can’t fail with any of these mats. Cork is an extraordinary product that practically appears like a wonder for yoga: it’s non-slip, grippy (and gets back at grippier when you sweat on it), extremely long lasting, environment-friendly, non-toxic, and feels truly great on your hands and feet.
While any cork mat can provide these advantages, the Body By Yoga mat is without a doubt the very best cork yoga mat we have actually discovered thanks to its additional cushioning, density, quality, and sturdiness.