By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Ajagallika is among the illness discussed under the context of Kshudra Rogas i.e., small illness. The illness is stated to be manifested generally in kids. For that reason, it can be thought about as an unique pediatric condition i.e., bala roga. Master Srikantadatta suggests that this illness might likewise manifest in the grownups however has actually been seen to primarily take place in the kids and thus Master Sushruta has actually worried and defined the word ‘balanam’ i.e., that which happens in the kids, while describing the ajagallika illness.
Check Out– Kshudra Roga: Minor Diseases: Signs, Ayurvedic Treatment
Dosha predominance— Kapha and Vata are primarily vitiated in ajagallika.
Tissues included— Rasa tissue is generally polluted by the doshas and thus the skin is associated with the illness. Skin is the website of symptom of the illness.
Shapes and size of the sore— the sore appears like mudga i.e., a grain of green gram. Diagnosis— this illness is treatable.
Writings in which ajagallika has actually been discussed–
Signs of Ajagallika
Ajagallika is a sore happening due to the vitiation of kapha and vata. This illness manifests generally in the kids. The nature and functions of the blister is as explained below–
- Snigdhah– oily look
- Savarnaa– color comparable to that of the surrounding skin
- Grathita– nodular
- Niruja– pain-free
- Mudga sannibha– shapes and size of grain of green gram
Furthermore, Nyaya Chandrika commentary informs that the blister will likewise have shapes and size of masha i.e. black gram apart from looking like a green gram grain. For that reason, ajagallika blister might appear in 2 types either like a green gram or black gram. The commentary likewise clarifies that the sores are restricted to the skin and muscles and do not trespass to the much deeper tissues.
- Direct exposure to the etiological elements which collectively vitiate kapha and vata
- Synchronised irritation of kapha and vata (intensified vata takes the association of kapha or pulls it into the skin and muscles– Nyaya Chandrika commentary)
- The intensified doshas get lodged in the skin and muscles
- Blisters/ boils/ sores looking like green gram or black gram appear which are oily, pain-free, and nodular and have comparable color of the surrounding skin
- This condition is called as Ajagallika (manifests generally in kids)
Treatment of Ajagallika
The treatment concepts of ajagallika are based upon whether the sores are suppurated or non-suppurated. In both these conditions the concept of treatment will vary. For that reason, the doctor ought to have the ability to separate both these conditions from the treatment point of view. This likewise shows that the medical diagnosis of the phases of ajagallika is essential for correct and detailed treatment to be executed.
This likewise makes us comprehend that Ajagallika is of 2 types–
- Apakva– immature/ non-suppurated– intense
- Pakva– fully grown/ suppurated– persistent
Ajagallika is of 2 types–
- That manifesting in kids
- Grownup type
Ayurveda has actually defined that ajagallika appears generally in kids, the conversation of ajagallika and associated treatment here is restricted to the illness manifested in kids. The exact same concepts of treatment will be executed in ajagallika manifested in grownup.
Treatment by phases (A.Hr)
- Immature blisters– bloodletting will be done. For this jalauka avacharana i.e. leech application will be done.
- Fully grown blisters– when the sores get grown and burst, it is dealt with on lines of vrana chikitsa i.e. on the lines of dealing with ulcers/ injuries.
The treatment concept of ajagallika has actually been discussed in a comparable method Ashtanga Sangraha.
Bloodletting is done utilizing leech application in case of immature illness. Following this the paste of the listed below discussed herbs will be used on the sore–
- Yavakshara– alkali of entire plant of barley
- Shukti– pearl oyster
- Saurashtrika– alum
Simply by puncturing the blisters of ajagallika with fresh and sharp thorns of Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum) plant they get grown rapidly, burst and get recovered.
Vrshamuladi Lepa — paste of vrshamula, roots of Adhatoda vasica and vishala– Citrullus colocynthis will be used over the ajagallika sore. If the blister is hard, preparations of alkalies will be used or soaked them and break them open.
Ajagallika is associated to an illness of the modern-day time called Molluscum Contagiosum. The sizes and shape of the sore looking like that of green gram will be associated to the pearly papules of molluscum contagiosum with particular main umbilication.
Molluscum contagiosum is a kind of viral skin infection. The causative representative (infection) likewise brings the exact same name as that of the illness. It prevails in kids however can impact grownups likewise, generally in those who have actually deteriorated body immune systems. This illness is thought about as a sexually transferred illness when genital areas are associated with grownups having regular body immune system.
The illness is defined by raised bumps providing on the upper layers of the skin. Typically it is pain-free. Frequently they disappear without being dealt with. They likewise do not leave scars when they get fixed. The infection might last for differing lengths of time (various in various people). The sores might likewise stay for differing time periods varying from 2 months to 4 years. In those having actually weak or jeopardized body immune system, this condition might end up being hard to deal with or might trigger serious impacts or issues.
How does the illness transfer?
- Direct skin contact with an individual having this infection (person-to-person)
- Touching any things polluted by the infection
The infection of molluscum contagiosum would infect surrounding skin if the sores are scratched or hurt.
This illness is triggered when one gets M. contagiosum infection, a kind of poxvirus. Active sores of the clients can transfer the infection. The transmission can likewise occur from the skin of one part of the body to the skin of other parts of the body of the exact same individual.
Transmission of Molluscum Contagiosum
M. contagiosum infection might pass from someone to the other in lots of methods. Skin contact with contaminated individual might take place by
- touching the sores of a contaminated individual,
- amongst kids while playing,
- due to sexual contact in grownups
- throughout contact sports
Surface area contact — one can call the infection by touching the surface areas which the contaminated individual had actually touched, like polluted clothes, toys and so on
Sharing— sharing the sports devices utilized by the contaminated individual. Example, football helmets, battling mats, baseball gloves and so on
Internal spread— as soon as you have actually gotten in touch with the infection the infection may spread out throughout the body. Likewise the infection/ infection might spread out from one part of the body to another. This occurs by touching other part of the body after touching, scratching, rubbing or shaving (over a bump).
- Transmission is discovered to happen more in damp environments.
- The infection would not infect other individual if the sores are not active/ not noticeable.
According to professionals it is most likely that swimmers transfer this infection through lots of things like shared towels, devices, or skin contact. So it may be typical condition in swimmers.
The signs might be seen often in between 2-7 weeks after one gets the molluscum contagiosum infection. A little group of pain-free bumps might appear initially. The look of bumps might differ. They might take place as a single bump or a spot consisting of as lots of as 20 or more bumps.
The particular look of bumps in molluscum contagiosum—
- Size– little, 2-5 millimeters in size/ size differs from that of the head of a pin to that of an eraser on the pencil top
- Texture– Shiny/ smooth
- Color– white, pink or flesh colored
- Forming– company, raised, dome or round formed with a pit/ dimple/ imprint in the middle (raised on the sides and depressed at the center)
- Material– waxy product filling the main core
- Place– anywhere, other than on palms or soles, particularly discovered on the face, neck, abdominal area, arms, underarms, hands, legs or upper body in kids and over inner thigh, genital areas (if the infection is sexually transferred) and abdominal area in grownups
- Modifications– bumps might end up being red, irritated or scratchy
- Shared secondary eczema
- Extensive and bigger than typical molluscum infectious usually manifested on the face (generally in those with jeopardized resistance)
- Abrupt scarring with pitted look (might be triggered by surgical treatment likewise)
- Immune action to infection– the bumps and skin around the sores might end up being red and irritated.
- Infection of bumps take place if they are scratched
- If the sores take place on the eyelids, conjunctivitis can establish.
Anybody can call the infection of this infection and can experience the illness. However the listed below discussed are most likely to get the infection more than the others and thus are the threat elements of the illness–
- Kids in between 1-10 years age
- Those living in tropical environments
- Those having atopic dermatitis
- Having weak body immune systems
- Those taking part in contact sports
Health examination– the physician will identify molluscum contagiosum after analyzing unique attributes and look as discussed above.
For verification, skin biopsy might be recommended. This is since molluscum contagiosum ought to be differentially identified with skin cancer, warts and chickenpox.
One ought to prevent touching the skin of another individual who has actually been contaminated with molluscum contagiosum. This is the very best method to avoid getting contaminated.
How to avoid spreading out the infection?
If you are contaminated with molluscum contagiosum you might follow the below discussed procedures to avoid spreading out the infection to others–
- Make a routine practice of cleaning hand with warm water and soap. Likewise advise the kids to hand wash routinely and train them with correct hand cleaning strategies.
- Do not share individual products like towels, clothes, soaps, hair brushes and so on with others.
- Prevent sharing other’s sport devices or yours with others.
- One ought to prevent touching the sores/ bumps on his/ her own body or those of contaminated individual. Shaving over the contaminated locations can likewise spread out the infection.
- Frequently tidy the bumps and keep them covered.
- One ought to inform the others not to touch him or his products if he/ she are contaminated with M. contagiosum.
- Those having sores in the genital location ought to prevent sexual contact till they are entirely dealt with and the sores have actually completely vanished.
- While swimming one will cover the sores with a water-tight plaster.
Many times the sores of molluscum contagiosum will disappear without treatment. Treatment may not be needed at all if the individual has a healthy body immune system. Given that the sores are too infectious the physicians would recommend them to be gotten rid of prior to they vanish by themselves. Mixes of treatments normally work that include a systematic mix of scraping, cryotherapy and application of medications that triggers blisters which take off the bumps.
Correct time to see the physician
- Sores are bigger than regular, situated on face and neck
- Having atopic dermatitis
- Gotten treatment that decreases resistance
- Got a health issue that decreases resistance
- Having low resistance
- Having issues about spreading out the infection to others
Several of the listed below discussed treatments may be reliable for those struggling with molluscum contagiosum–
- Cryotherapy– freezing the sores/ bumps with liquid nitrogen
- Curettage– piercing and removing the sores/ bump
- Laser treatment
- Topical treatment– application of creams or chemicals
- Creams consisting of iodine and salicylic acid/ potassium hydroxide
- Trichloroacetic acid
- Cantharidin application
- Imiquimod (T cell modifier)
Pregnant ladies, ladies preparing pregnancy and those breastfeeding will take care prior to taking these medications. They ought to let their physician to understand their status. For HIV clients contracting molluscum contagiosum, ART (Antiretroviral Treatment) is the most reliable treatment.
The illness fixes all by itself in those having excellent resistance. It typically takes about 6-12 months for the resolution to happen without scarring. In lots of people it would take couple of months or years prior to the bumps of molluscum contagiosum vanishes. In those with jeopardized resistance or having actually issues associated with body immune system the infection might end up being more consistent and can likewise last longer.
The infection or infection no longer remains in the body once the sores go out. Throughout this duration one will not spread out the infection to others or to one’s own parts. The bumps will come back if one gets contaminated as soon as again. One can get contaminated as soon as again in spite of having actually got contaminated as soon as, more so if the resistance tapers in the coming days.
Click to Speak With Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ayu)– Skype