In easy words, ‘Akshi’ indicates eyes, and ‘Tarpan’ indicates nutrition or nutrition (Basti-retaining something inside). Likewise, this treatment is referred to as Kriyakalpa and is referred to as eye care treatment and renewal treatment. In this treatment, an enclosure developed is made around the eye with wheat flour and medicated ghee is put over the eyelids for a repaired period of time. Akshi tarpana or Netra tarpana serves as both preventive and alleviative for keeping the healthy condition of the eyes and is stated to be an exceptional treatment to enhance vision and clearness.
Signs of Netra Tarpana:
The Panchakarma treatment ‘Akshi Tarpana/Netra Tarpana’ successfully operates in the following eyes conditions:
- Night loss of sight (* ) Myopia (* ) Dry eye syndrome
- In the early phase of retinopathy
- Discomfort and swelling in the eyes
- Persistent Conjunctivitis(* )Corneal Ulcers
- Burning Feeling in the eyes
- Corneal Ulcers
- Cloudiness and Watering of the eyes
- Advantages of Netra Tarpana According to Ayurveda:
- According to the Ayurvedic Acharyas, the following are some advantages of Netra Tarpana:
- Vata Pittaja Roga: Eyes conditions which are triggered due to out of balance or worsened Vata and Pitta Dosha
Netra Shushkata: Excess Rigidness or tightness in the eyes
Nayane Tamyati: Inflammation in the eyes takes place due to direct exposure to excess light
- Abhighata: Injury to the eyes
- Krichha unmilana: Problem to close or open the eyes
- Sheerna pakshama: Falling of eyelashes
- Aavila akshnam: Dirtiness of eyes
- Abhyishyanda: Conjunctivitis
- Adhimantha: Glaucoma
- Siraharsha: Cellulitis happening in the eyes
- Vata paryaya: Cranial nerves atrophy
- Shkra: Swelling of the cornea
- Sirotpata: Conjunctiva hyperemia
- Signs of Netra Tarpana according to Ayurveda:
- The following eye illness are pointed out in various Ayurvedic texts in which Akshi Tarpana is shown:
- Sheerna pakshma: Falling of eyelashes
Ati daruna: dryness of the eyes
Tamyati: darkness in front of eyes
- Jihma netram: irregular discrepancy of the eyeball
- Roga klishtam: eyes that have actually been consistently affected and disabled due to several illness
- Contra-Indications of Netra Tarpana
- according to Ayurveda:
- There are some conditions in which Netra tarpana is contraindicated in Ayurveda:
Ati sheeta dina: excess cold day Atyushna dina: excess hot day
Chinta: an individual who is psychologically disrupted
- Bhrama: giddiness
- Aayasa: in physical fatigue
- Ashtna upadrava: in the conditions like swelling, serious discomfort, watering, and inflammation in the eyes
- Treatment of Netra Tarpana:
- This treatment is divided into 3 parts:
- Purva Karma (Pre-Treatment Treatment)
Pradhana Karma (Main Treatment)
Pashchat Karma (Post-Treatment Treatment)
- Purva Karma (Pre-Treatment Treatment):
- Prior to beginning the treatment, some preparations are done, that include:
Preparation of the Client:
- In Ayurveda, it is extremely crucial to take an evaluation of the client to understand the fundamental info, like his/her Prakriti and Vikriti. Appropriately, medications utilized in the treatments are chosen. Preparation of the Treatment:
Prior to the treatment, all the products required for the treatment ought to be gathered: Medicated ghee/oil (* ) Flour of black gram or white flour for making the ring around the eyes
Bowl, vessels, and ranges Tissue paper, Cotton, and Sterilized clothing
- Product for dhoompana
- Immediate Treatment:(* )Prior to beginning netra or akshi tarpana, cleaning of the body ought to be done. Ayurvedic treatments like vaman, virechana, and shiro virechana are done.
- Preparation of Flour for ring:
- Flour of black gram and barley need to be blended in a vessel by including water and oil. From this mix, 2 little rings will be prepared around the eyeball.
- Preparation of the Medication:
The ghee to be utilized for treatment ought to be lukewarm.
Pradhana Karma (Main Treatment ): Time of the Netra Tarpana: This Ayurvedic treatment ought to be performed in’ Sadharana Kala’, i.e. neither too cold nor too hot. The duration of this treatment is approx thirty minutes and can be performed in the early morning time along with at night time.
Position of the Client: The client is made to rest and neck assistance need to be offered to the client.
Building and construction of ring around the eyes:
- The height of the ring need to be 2 angula’s and rings of flour are made over the eye sockets. The ring ought to be made in such a method regarding avoid any sort of leak of medicated ghee/oil. (* )Filling of Sounding with Medicated ghee/oil:(* )The recommended lukewarm medicated ghee/oil is carefully put into the rings so that both the eyes are dipped in the medication. The client eyes need to be closed while dropping the medication in the ring. Later on she or he is advised to open and close the eyes consistently and gradually so that the interior of the eyes enter contact with the medications. Then the medications are left in location for a repaired period of the time based on pointed out in the Ayurvedic texts, after that they need to be eliminated from both the eyes. Period of Netra Tarpana based on the eye illness:
Illness of eyelids– 100 matra kala Illness of joints of the eye– 300 matra kala
Illness of sclera– 500 matra kala(* )Illness of the cornea, iris– 700 matra kala Illness of the retina & vision– 800 matra kala (* )Glaucoma– 1000 matra kala
Vata roga– 1000 matra kala Pitta roga– 800 matra kala(* )Kapha roga– 600 matra kala
Swastha roga– 500 matra kala
- In vata roga — tarpana ought to be done day-to-day
- In pitta roga– on alternate day
- In kapha roga & swastha– on daily fourth
- Samyak Trupta Lakshan( Symptoms And Signs of Correctly Done Akshi Tarpana):(* )Vishada lochanam: clearness of vision
- Sukhya svapna: sound sleep
- Varna patavam: appropriate understanding of all the colors
- Pralsha kshamat: The eye can able to endure the light
- Kriya laghava: closing and opening of the eye occur quickly
- Nirvritti: facility of health in the eye
- Atrupta Lakshana
- Symptoms And Signs of poorly or shortage done Akshi Tarpana(* )):
- Expert Lochana: Heaviness in the eyes
Anivritti: Ill eyes
- Svapna nashnam: loss or absence of sleep
- Praksha Akshamata: intolerance to light
- Varna patava akshamata: failure to view the things of vision or colors
- Rukshama: boost in the dryness of the eyes
- Asraadyam: extreme tearing of the eyes
- Ati Trupta Lakshan( Symptoms And Signs of Overly-done Akshi Tarpana):
Ashru: extreme tearing of the eyes Kandu: itching in the eyes Updadeha: finish in the eyes Expert Netrata: Heaviness in the eyes
- Atisnigdha: extreme oiliness of eyes
- Pashchat Karma (Post-Treatment Treatment): Eliminating the Medicated ghee/oil:
- For eliminating the medication, a little hole is developed in the ring at the external canthus of the eye. Then, with the assistance of sterilized cotton or fabric, clean the eyes and surrounding location correctly.
- For the removal of the Kapha which has actually been overemphasized due to the administration of ghrita/ oil in Netra tarpana, natural smoking cigarettes ought to be offered to the client.
- Shaman Aushidha’s for Netra Roga:(* )A few of the very best and most efficient Ayurvedic medications which can be considered the alleviative function and avoidance of eye conditions are:
Significance of Eye Health according to Ayurveda (* ):
- According to Ayurveda, Alochaka Pitta( a subtype of Pitta, situated in the eyes) manages the performance of the eyes. The pitta is governed by Pachaka Pitta( pitta found in the gut). It suggests that the performance of the eyes is under the direct control and is impacted by the gut fire. Ayurveda thinks that Alochaka pitta is usually pathologically impacted and disrupted by morbid Kapha. It suggests that the balance in Kapha is extremely crucial for the balance of Alochaka pitta.
- Also, our eyes lie in the head and are impacted by imbalances of Vayu, generally the Prana Vayu. The other subtypes of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha can likewise be impacted by the symptoms of eye conditions. According to Ayurveda, usually, the eyes conditions and nerve-related conditions are triggered due to morbid Vata whereas vision-related conditions and swelling, and inflammation are triggered due to morbid Pitta.
- Hence, Netra or Akshi Tarpana successfully operates in handling eye conditions due to the fact that it relieves the nerves, dryness, degeneration, and swelling, develops eye health, and assists in the renewal of the eye and vision. Likewise, it assists in avoiding numerous eye-related conditions by improving the resistance of the eyes.
- The advantages of Akshi or Netra Tarpana:
- The advantages of Akshi or Netra tarpana arises from its system of action. The medicated oil or ghee utilized in the treatment reaches the internal ophthalmic structures. Ghee has a lipophilic nature, therefore it helps with the transport of active natural substances into the ophthalmic structures through the cornea where it supplies several health advantages. Following are some eye conditions in which netra tarpana is utilized:
In Burning feeling and discomfort in the eyes:
- Due to exposure to dirt or dust or due to excessive tension, an individual can experience discomfort and burning feeling in the eyes. For the avoidance of such issues, routine cleaning of the eyes is extremely crucial. The medicated oil or ghee utilized in the treatment assists in lowering discomfort, swelling, and burning feeling of the eyes.(* )Reoccurring Eye Infections: The most typical eye infections consist of blepharitis, entry of foreign particles in the eye, keratitis, conjunctivitis, and so on. The majority of these infections are triggered due to exposure to germs, dirt, or dust and this causes inflammation, swelling of eyelids, discomfort, and watering of the eyes. By akshi tarpana treatment, those clients who are experiencing frequent eye infections got quite relief and due to the anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory residential or commercial properties of medicated herbs, it assists in treating any such eye infections.
Glaucoma: Glaucoma is an eye illness triggered due to harm optic nerves and loss of vision. The medicated ghee or oil utilized in Netra tarpana treatment permeates deep into ophthalmic structures and supplies nutrition and strength to them. The medication is carried from the cornea to all parts of the eye and assists in recuperating damages In the internal structures and enhances vision.
Computer System Vision Syndrome:
Due to the contemporary and busy way of life, this issue is extremely typical and can result in eye conditions like myopia and hyperopia. The sign consists of dry eyes, excess watering of eyes, blurred vision, inflammation, and swelling. Akshi tarpana assists in bring back vision and lowering the signs of computer system vision syndrome by offering strength to the ocular muscles and lowering muscle stress by making sure smooth motions of the eyes.
Eye Injuries: Eye injury can leave a long-lasting results on the eyes like clogs in the optic nerve, uncertain vision, and weak point in the eyes muscles. If they can not be dealt with within a particular duration it might break down the quality of vision even more. The Netra Tarpana treatment can assist in gaining back initial strength in the muscles and the medication is carried to every cell membrane. When the medication operates at the cellular level, it assists in opening clogs and re-strengthening the inner structures of the eyes.(* )For routine health updates, please follow our Social Pages