By Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ay) & & Dr Manasa, B.A.M.S
Patradana implies covering with leaves. This is a special step followed in covering the injuries/ ulcers on which the medical pastes are used. Over the leaves the bandaging of injuries and ulcers are done. This technique of surgical dressing has actually been discussed in the context of Shashti Upakrama i.e. 60 type of treatment discussed by Master Sushruta in the very first chapter of Chikitsa Sthana area. All these 60 treatments work for dealing with the ulcers and likewise to avoid their issues. These 60 type of treatments are consisted of in 7 kinds of treatments called Sapta Upakrama which Sushruta has actually discussed in the Sutra Sthana Area (Chapter 17).
Vaikrutapaha is the seventh treatment amongst these 7 treatments. Vaikrutapaha implies eliminating the defects triggered by the ulcers and injuries. This is a sort of cosmetic restoring of the ulcer location and to promote recovery in an extensive method. Vaikrutapaha consists of 26 type of treatments amongst which Patradana is one.
Check out– Sushruta’s 7 Kinds of Treatments Sapta Upakrama
Listed below discussed are the conditions in which the ulcers/ injuries require to be covered with leaves–
- Sthiranam– stable ulcers/ injuries
- Alpa mamsanam– ulcers/ injuries covered with less muscles, the muscles would have got damaged due to ulcers/ injuries as a problem
- Raukshyaad anuparohataam– injuries/ ulcers which have actually not recovered due to severe dryness in them
In the above stated conditions the ulcers/ injuries are covered by the leaves. This is performed in accordance to the doshas included and the fundamental seasons. Leaves having medical residential or commercial properties will be covered on the injuries after having actually used medical pastes on them.
In the above discussed conditions, initially the medical pastes are used on the ulcer/ injury. Next the ulcer/ injury on which the medical paste has actually been used are covered with leaves such that the leaves cover the paste.
Check Out– Avasechana Technique of Injury Care: Significance, Types, Scientific Significance
Kinds of leaves
a. In ulcers triggered by vitiated vata– the listed below discussed leaves are utilized for covering–
- Eranda Patra– leaves of Ricinus communis (castor)
- Bhurja Patra– leaves of Betula utilis
- Karanja Patra– leaves of Pongamia pinnata
- Haridra Patra– leaves of Curcuma longa (turmeric)
b. In ulcers triggered by vitiated pitta and blood– the listed below discussed leaves are utilized for covering–
- Ashvabala Patra– leaves of Medicago sativa
- Kashmari (Gambhari) Patra– Gmelina arborea
- Kshiri Vrksha Patrani– leaves of latex yielding plants/ trees
- Audaka Patra– leaves of plants growing in water (like lotus and so on)
c. In ulcers triggered by vitiated kapha– the listed below discussed leaves are utilized for covering–
Check Out– Charaka Vrana Chikitsa– 25th Chapter– Injuries, Ulcers
Qualities of leaves which are utilized for covering the ulcers and injuries
- Akarkasha– not rough
- Avichchinnam– not torn
- Ajirnam– not old (must be fresh)
- Sukumarakam– tender
- Ajantu jagdham– not plagued with worms and bugs
- Mrdu– smooth
Leaves utilized to cover the injuries/ ulcers– Factors and advantages
The listed below discussed must be used on the ulcer/ injury from completely–
- Medical paste straight used over the ulcer
- Leaves having actually medical residential or commercial property put over the medical paste
- Plaster connected over the leaves
If the leaves are not put in between the paste of medication and plaster fabric, the fats and essence of medications in the paste would enter into direct contact with the plaster fabric and get lost. To avoid the loss of fats and medical essence the leaves are layered in between the paste and plaster fabric. Leaves are likewise used on the anointment/ medical paste for causing cold or heat according to requirement and to avoid loss of fats in the medical pastes as stated above.
Click to Speak With Dr Raghuram Y.S. MD (Ayu)