This Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad with Avocado is among my preferred fast healthy lunches to make throughout the week. It’s so abundant and velvety that you will not think you’re consuming a healthy chicken salad without mayo!
This post includes affiliate links. I am an affiliate for Amazon Associates, and other brand names, and make a little commission on certifying purchases. You’re by no methods obliged to utilize my links however, if you do, thank you for supporting Organize Yourself Skinny.
Timeless chicken salad is constantly a favorite of mine. It’s outstanding as a high-protein treat with crackers and veggies or rolled up into a wrap for a fast lunch.
The issue with a conventional chicken salad dish is that it’s packed with mayo. One tablespoon of mayo is 100 calories and many grams of fat. Some chicken salad dishes require a minimum of 1/2 cup or more– yikes! As you can picture, this can be a problem for those attempting to be healthy.
The good news is, I found an option.
Plain Greek yogurt and a ripe avocado mashed together and blended with sliced or shredded chicken breast. Who understood a no mayo chicken salad might be so excellent?! It’s likewise tasty in this healthy tuna salad dish.
Factors You’ll Love This Dish
- Slim and low cholesterol. Switching in Greek yogurt for mayo makes this a hearty, healthy chicken salad dish.
- High protein. Depending upon the brand name, 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt includes 12-15 grams of protein!
- Not too heavy. Mayo-based salads tend to sit like a rock in your stomach. Utilizing Greek yogurt keeps the salad light while still filling you up.
- Easy to make. After you prepare the chicken, all other active ingredients come together rapidly in one bowl.
- Excellent method to utilize remaining chicken. This chicken salad dish can utilize shredded chicken, sliced baked chicken breasts, or rotisserie chicken.
- Meal preparation. I like making this 2-3 days ahead of time for a fast lunch or treat throughout the week.
- Greek yogurt. I like to utilize an entire fat plain greek yogurt; this supplies that velvety texture you get out of mayo. My preferred brand name to utilize is Chobani.
- Avocado. Lots of greek yogurt chicken salad dishes do not require avocado, however I believe it cancels the tang of the Greek yogurt and includes additional creaminess. It likewise includes excellent fat, fiber, and protein. Find out to freeze avocados to have all set for this dish and others.
- Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and peppe r are my go-to spices for seasoning this salad.
- Red onion and celery offer the salad a crispy texture and fresh taste.
- Shredded chicken or sliced chicken breast works terrific in this salad.
- Fresh lime or lemon juice serves a number of functions in this avocado chicken dish with greek yogurt. Initially, it includes freshness. Second, it keeps the avocado from turning brown.
How to Make Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- If you have not currently, prepare the chicken breasts for the salad. The chicken must be entirely cool prior to including it to the other Greek yogurt chicken salad active ingredients.
- Then get all of your active ingredients together. This dish comes together quick when whatever is all set to go.
- Utilize a big bowll to blend the mashed avocado, greek yogurt, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Doing this action initially assists mix the avocado and greek yogurt to get a velvety consistency. I likewise like to taste flavoring prior to including the chicken and other active ingredients.
- Include chicken, red onion, and celery to the avocado mix and stir up until all active ingredients are integrated.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the chicken mix Offer it a taste, capture in the remainder of the lime if required– taste for salt and pepper.
As Soon As you have your healthy Greek yogurt chicken salad dish made, you might be questioning what to consume it with. Obviously, you can consume it typically as a sandwich in between 2 pieces of bread, however here are a couple of other alternatives:
- In a low-carb wrap.
- On a bed of lettuce.
- In a lettuce wrap.
- In a pita pocket.
- Packed into a tomato.
- As a dip for raw veggies.
- With some veggie chips.
You can sit and consume this Greek yogurt chicken salad with a spoon, too– it’s that excellent!
Utilize a ripe avocado A ripe avocado will mix finest with the greek yogurt to produce the chicken salad base.
There are 3 methods to inform if an avocado is ripe.
- The skin color is dark green to black. A brilliant green avocado will not be ripe.
- The skin will be rough.
- You can carefully squeeze the avocado without it feeling mushy.
There are various methods to prepare the chicken— Preparing the chicken is the longest part of this dish.
Here are the cooking alternatives:
In the oven — Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and location the chicken breast onto the sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes. Eliminate from the oven and let the chicken breast cool entirely prior to cutting into portions.
Poached on the range— Location chicken breasts in a pot and cover with water by 1-2 inches. If you are poaching more than 2 chicken breasts, I suggest utilizing a big pot or dutch oven– you do not wish to crowd the pot.
Bring the water to a boil and after that let it simmer for about 15– 20 minutes. The internal temperature level must be 165 degrees for the chicken to be thought about done.
Eliminate the chicken and location it onto a cutting board. Please keep in mind the chicken will hot. After it cools, cut into little pieces or shred.
In a Slow Cooker — Location 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast in 2 cups broth with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Prepare for 4-5 hours on low. Eliminate the chicken from the crockpot and shred. I typically make big batches of crockery pot shredded chicken to utilize in different dishes throughout the week.
If you do not seem like cooking, then utilize a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
How to shred chicken?
There are 2 methods I shred chicken breasts:
- For smaller sized pieces, I’ll utilize my hand mixer.
- For thicker pieces, I’ll shred utilizing my hands or a number of forks.
Utilizing sliced or shredded chicken will produce various textures to the Greek yogurt chicken salad dish– everything depends upon your choice or what you have on hand.
There are numerous methods to change up this greek yogurt chicken salad.
- This salad is terrific with remaining turkey; utilize the very same quantity of sliced turkey and keep the remainder of the dish the very same. If you wish to utilize canned tuna, then take a look at this healthy tuna salad dish. Or this healthy egg salad dish is excellent too.
- Neglect the avocado. The avocado contributes to the velvety texture and, in my viewpoint, assists the salad taste more like a mayo-based dish. Nevertheless, if you do not like avocado, leave it out and include 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt rather.
- Include fresh fruit. Red grapes or green apples are timeless chicken salad active ingredients and are tasty in this healthy variation.
- Include dried fruit. Dried cranberries are my preferred stir into this dish however utilize any of your favorites.
- Include nuts. Walnuts, pecans, and sliced almonds are all tasty!
- Usage fresh herbs. Fresh dill is delightful! Fresh parsley is good too.
- Offer it a Greek style by including some feta cheese and oregano.
- If you like spice, include some chipotle flavoring and cilantro. Or stir in a little dijon mustard for tang.
- For more crunch include more red onion, or attempt a preferred crispy vegetable like carrots or jicama.
This chicken salad with yogurt dish can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for as much as 3 days. If you’re going to keep it the optimum time, I suggest including the overall quantity of lime juice to avoid the avocado from browning.
You can not freeze this dish, however you can freeze the prepared shredded or sliced chicken ahead of time. I suggest freezing it into parts so it’s all set to utilize in this healthy chicken salad dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Greek yogurt has less calories and fat than mayo, so, yes, it’s the much healthier option.
While it’s not the specific consistency and does have a tangier taste, it’s a fantastic replacement for mayo. Many people can’t even discriminate.
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
This Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad with Avocado is among my preferred fast healthy lunches to make throughout the week. It’s so abundant and velvety that you will not think you’re consuming a chicken salad without mayo!Print Pin Rate
Servings: 4 individuals
Calories: 207 kcal
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe avocado 1-2 avocados, depending upon the size
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt(* )this amounts to a 5.3 ounce container 1/2
- teaspoon garlic granulated garlic 1/2
- teaspoon onion powder 1/4
- teaspoon salt 1/4
- teaspoon ground pepper 1/2(* )red onion
- sliced 2 cups
- sliced chicken breast This has to do with 2 chicken breasts. See notes for preparing the chicken breast. 1/2 cup
- sliced celery Juice of a half of a lime(* )Directions In a medium bowl mix together the mashed avocado, greek yogurt, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Include the chicken, red onion, and celery to the avocado mix and stir up until all active ingredients are integrated.
Capture in lime juice. Offer it a taste, capture in the remainder of the lime if required. Taste for salt and pepper.
Enjoy in a wrap, pita, or on a bed of greens.
There are various methods to prepare the chicken– Preparing the chicken is the longest part of this dish.
Here are the alternatives:
In the oven
| Carbohydrates: 6 g| Protein: 30 g| Fat: 7 g| Hydrogenated Fat: 1 g| Cholesterol: 58 mg| Salt: 247 mg| Fiber: 3 g| Sugar: 2 g Have you attempted this Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad dish? If so, I ‘d like for you to rate this dish and leave a remark listed below. All of us gain from each other’s experiences. Likewise, it would be incredible if you might share a photo on Instagram and tag it #organizeyourselfskinny. I can’t wait to see it!
Sharing is caring! Healthy Chicken Recipes, Healthy Gluten-free Dishes, Healthy Keto Recipes, Healthy Low Carbohydrate Recipes, Healthy Sandwiches and Covers, Lunch Recipes, Recipes About