This Wholesome Apple Crisp is loaded with tender apples and heat spices, naturally sweetened with maple syrup, all topped with a crunchy oatmeal pecan topping!
Oh how I like apple season! Nothing says fall greater than a great deal of apples consuming your kitchen and what higher means to make use of these beauties up than with a comforting apple crisp! Not solely is that this apple crisp fast and simple to throw collectively, however I can promise you your entire kitchen will scent superb! This dessert is made more healthy with entire grain quaint oats, utilizing maple syrup as a pure sweetener maintaining this crisp refined sugar-free and you should use coconut oil rather than butter for the oat topping.
This wholesome apple crisp is cozy, comforting and makes the proper dessert, topped with vanilla ice cream in fact! I imply there may be actually nothing higher than heat apples and crunchy oats all coated in melty ice cream. At all times such successful and makes an excellent dessert to share along with your Thanksgiving desk!
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Apples – I like utilizing Honeycrisp apples due to their candy/tart combo they usually maintain up rather well with out getting mushy, however be happy to make use of no matter apples (or a range you want greatest! Braeburn, Granny Smith, Cortland, Fuji, Pink Woman and Golden Scrumptious all make nice choices as effectively
- Rolled oats – healthful entire grain quaint oats (I used gluten-free) make this topping good and crunchy
- Oat flour – flour helps the topping come collectively and you may simply make your individual oat flour proper at residence by mixing rolled oats in your meals processor or blender! Any kind of flour will work for this although
- Maple syrup – naturally sweetens these apples and tastes unimaginable with all the nice and cozy spices! You might additionally use honey, coconut sugar, brown sugar or different sweetener of selection
- Apple cider vinegar – this prevents the apples from browning and helps steadiness out the sweetness, you can additionally substitute recent lemon juice
- Cornstarch – this thickens the sauce and prevents it from changing into watery. You might additionally use arrowroot powder rather than the cornstarch
- Pecans – these make the topping even crunchier, however be happy to depart them out if nut-free
- Coconut sugar – that is what I like to make use of rather than brown sugar in recipes and provides sweetness to the oat topping
- Maple syrup – helps maintain the crumble topping collectively and makes this even sweeter with out utilizing refined sugar
- Butter (or coconut oil) – I’ve been making this apple crisp for years and each butter and coconut oil work nice! Coconut oil has extra dietary worth and is a superb choice should you’re vegan, however for my part, butter arms down simply tastes the most effective Be at liberty to decide on no matter works greatest for you!
- Vanilla – provides this apple crisp a lift of taste!
- Heat spices – scrumptious mixture of cinnamon, apple pie spice, nutmeg and sea salt
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRISP
- Prep the apples. Peel and slice your apples then toss them along with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, cornstarch, spices and salt. Combine effectively till they’re utterly coated and switch them to an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish coated in non-stick spray.
- Make the crumble topping. Within the bowl you blended your apples in (we’re making an attempt to save lots of you from cleansing too many dishes right here), combine collectively rolled oats, oat flour, pecans, coconut sugar, and maple syrup. Subsequent add the butter (or strong coconut oil), and if utilizing butter, I like to recommend reducing it into cubes and utilizing a pastry cutter (or your arms) to actually get the butter blended in with all the opposite substances till the combination resembles a pleasant crumble topping.
- Assemble and bake. Unfold the crumble over high of the apples till evenly lined and bake the apple crisp within the oven at 350 levels F for about 40 to 45 minutes. The apple crisp will look golden and apples needs to be smooth and tender.
- Serve and revel in! Serve instantly whereas apple crisp is heat and I extremely advocate topping with vanilla ice cream!
PREPPING AND STORING
This apple crisp will final for as much as 4 to five days lined in your fridge (if it even lasts that lengthy!) and might simply be reheated by popping it again within the oven at 350 for five to 10 minutes. This apple crisp can be saved within the freezer (both baked or unbaked) for as much as 3 months. Simply be sure to thaw the apple crisp utterly within the fridge earlier than baking.
TIPS, TRICKS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Ensure that to make use of apples that may maintain up properly when baked like Honeycrisp or Braeburn apples. Some apples (like Gala) can get mushy when baked and are greatest used to make applesauce or cider.
- If you happen to’re in a time crunch (or just just like the style and texture), be happy to depart the pores and skin on when slicing the apples. Such a time saver and the peel will soften as they bake.
- I like to chop the apples into even slices in order that the apple crisp bakes evenly
- To maintain the topping crispy, be sure to make use of quaint rolled oats and never fast cooking oats as they have an inclination to get mushy when baking
- If utilizing coconut oil rather than butter, be sure its in strong kind, not melted, to actually get a superb crumbly topping that may bake properly
- When you’ve got a nut allergy, be happy to depart out the pecans or you can eve substitute them with crunchy sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- You don’t want to cowl this apple crisp when baking, however should you discover the oat topping browning too rapidly, be happy to cowl with foil till apples are smooth and tender
MORE APPLE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 45 minutes
- Whole Time: 55 minutes
For the apple filling:
- 6 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the oatmeal topping:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp chilly butter, minimize into cubes (or strong coconut oil)
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F.
- Peel and slice the apples then toss them collectively in a big bowl with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, cornstarch, spices and salt. Combine effectively till they’re utterly coated and switch them to an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish coated in non-stick spray.
- To make the oat topping, combine collectively rolled oats, oat flour, pecans, coconut sugar, and maple syrup. Subsequent add the butter (or strong coconut oil), and blend effectively utilizing a pastry cutter (or your arms) to actually get all the things integrated till the combination resembles a pleasant crumble topping.
- Unfold the crumble over high of the apples till evenly lined and bake the apple crisp within the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes. The apple crisp will look golden and apples needs to be smooth and tender. (If the oat topping begins browning too rapidly, be happy to cowl it with foil and proceed baking till apples are smooth)
- Serve instantly whereas apple crisp is heat and I extremely advocate topping with vanilla ice cream!
*This apple crisp will final 4 to five days lined in your fridge or you may freeze this (baked or unbaked) for as much as 3 months.
- Serving Measurement: 1/twelfth of recipe
- Energy: 219
- Sugar: 19.2 g
- Sodium: 29.3 mg
- Fats: 8.1 g
- Saturated Fats: 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.9 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
* Please be aware that every one vitamin info are simply estimates. Values will differ amongst manufacturers, so we encourage you to calculate these by yourself for many correct outcomes.